Need a hand with your subscription? We’ve compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions – if your question is not answered here, please contact us and we will be happy to help.
- When will my subscription start?
Your subscription will start with the next magazine published. Your first magazine will take between one week and six weeks to arrive.
- My subscription includes a welcome gift. When will it arrive?
It should arrive within two weeks of signing up for your subscription. If you have waited longer, please let us know.
- My magazine hasn’t arrived, what should I do?
We’ll check your subscription and send a replacement copy if necessary.
- How do I change my delivery address?
To change your delivery address, first visit my account. Next click “Addresses” on the left hand side of your dashboard. You can edit your shipping address by first clicking the “pen” icon highlighted in the screenshot below.
- What does a digital subscription give me?
You’ll be able to read New Internationalist on the Exact Editions app, which also works on desktop.
The Exactly app is an exact replica of the print magazine and includes the entire archive of New Internationalist magazines stretching back to 1973. What’s more, issues are fully linked, referenced and searchable, making it a great research tool.
There’s more information on our “How to activate your digital subscription” quide.
- I have a digital subscription; how do I access the app on Android or Apple devices or my computer?
We have created a handy “How to activate your digital subscription” quide, which will take you through how to set up access on your Apple or Android device or your Mac, Linux or Windows computer. If you get stuck, please contact us and we will help you get unstuck!
- Do I get instant access to the magazine when I subscribe?
Yes, you do. But you will need to activate your digital subscription before you can read New Internationalist.
- Can I access the digital edition free if I am already a print subscriber?
If you have a print-only subscription you will be unable to access the digital edition. For just an additional £4 a year, you can switch to a print and digital bundle.
You can find information on how to switch to a print and digital bundle in “How do I switch between formats” below.
- I subscribed to your app via iTunes, but can’t log in, what do I do?
If you bought your subscription via iTunes, you do not need to log in to the app (the log in option is for those who bought a subscription outside iTunes). As new issues are published you should be able to download them automatically.
- My issue isn’t downloading or is not responding, what can I do?
If your issue doesn’t work correctly, it may be worth deleting the app from your device and installing it again. You won’t lose any of your purchases but you will need to download issues again.
To delete the app from your Apple device please refer to this helpful guide.
To delete the app from your Android device please refer to this helpful guide.
- When my digital subscription expires, can I keep the issues?
Yes. The issues will always belong to you, but you will only be able to read them on the platform (iOS/Android) on which you purchased them.
- How do I restore previously purchased issues?
Previous purchases will be recorded in your purchase history of your Apple ID or Google Account. You can restore your previous purchases by selecting ‘restore purchases’ in the support menu (Apple) or app menu (Google).
- Do I have to pay for postage?
No! All subscriptions include the price of postage.
- I don’t live in the UK. Can I have a subscription?
Yes! We deliver internationally as well as in the UK.
- What are your shipping times?
For the UK – all magazines should arrive a couple of days after going on sale.
For International subscriptions – please allow approximately 14 days for delivery from when the magazine is mailed.
Renewing, switching format and re-instating expired or cancelled subscriptions
- How do I renew my subscription?
To renew your subscription, first visit my account. Next locate the subscription you want to renew under “My Subscriptions” as illustrated below. Use the “Renew now” button to renew your subscription.
- How do I find my subscription number?
It’s on letters or emails that we send to you.
You can also find it in your account page. You can find it under ‘My Subscription/s’. You may need to click ‘view’ next to the appropriate sub if you have more than one. This is illustrated below. The subscription number is underlined in red.
If you are not able to find your subscription number, simply contact us, telling us your name and address and we’ll send you your number.
- My subscription was bought for me as a gift, but I want to renew myself.
No problem. You can renew online or contact us for help.
To renew your subscription online see “How do I renew my subscription” above.
- I have a Direct Debit or I paid by card since June 2021- do I need to renew my subscription?
No, your account or card will be debited automatically until you tell us and/or your bank or card provider to stop.
- How do I switch between formats (switch from print to digital, digital to print or either to both)?
To change formats, first visit my account. Next locate the subscription you want to change under “My Subscriptions”.
On the subscription page you will find a “change format button” highlighted in the screen shot below.
After you click “change format” you will be taken to a page where you can choose your new format. Choose the version of New Internationalist you want to receive and click “Switch Subscription” and check out as you did when you first subscribed. In some cases you won’t be charged anything until your next payment date.
If you are upgrading to a more expensive subscription the price will be discounted by the amount you have already paid on your present cheaper subscription.
If you are downgrading, the system may extend your next payment date to take into account what you have already paid on your more expensive subscription.
- My subscription expired or was cancelled. How do I resubscribe?
To resubscribe, first visit my account. Next locate the subscription you want to reactivate. Click the “resubscribe” button highlighted in the screen shot below.
You will be taken to the checkout page where you may need to add your billing and shipping details. Once that’s done, click “Resubscribe” as shown in the screen shot below and you will get digital access immediately or a print magazine in one to six weeks.
- How do I cancel my subscription?
To cancel your subscription, call us on +44 (0)20 3868 4646 between 9am and 5pm from Monday to Friday.
Please note: You will continue to receive magazines published before the end date of your subscription.
- When does my subscription end?
If you pay by direct debit or continuous credit card, then your subscription will continue until you ask us to cancel it.
Otherwise, to find out when your subscription will end, first visit my account. Next locate the subscription you want to see the end date for under “My Subscriptions”.
- I took out a trial subscription – what happens at the end of my trial?
Unless you tell us otherwise, your subscription will continue after your free trial. Your account or card will be charged at the end of your free trial at the rate agreed when you signed up. If you decide that a subscription is not for you, please cancel or contact us before your free trial ends and let us know and you won’t be charged a penny.
- When is my next Direct Debit payment due?
To find your next payment date, first visit my account. Next locate the subscription you want to see the next payment date for under “My Subscriptions”. The next payment date is listed near the top of the screen as highlighted in the screenshot below.
- Is it possible to buy a subscription for a school or college?
Yes! We offer institutional or library subscriptions giving multiple access to a digital subscription. The online subscription includes:
- Access for an unlimited number of users at a subscribing institution
- Easy integration into your online library catalogue or virtual learning environment
- Access to archived issues dating back to 1973
- FREE monthly issues of the magazine in print
- How do I sign up for an institutional subscription?
You can sign up for an institutional subscriptions via Exact Editions
- What information do you need to set up my institutional subscription?
As well as your contact details, we require a list of your institution’s IP address ranges.
- What is the length of an institutional subscription?
An institutional subscription can last for one or three years.
- Do institutional subscribers get copies of the print magazine?
Yes they do! We send out one complimentary copy of our bi-monthly (6 per year) magazine to all institutional subscribers.
- How do I log in/set up online account?
If you already know your account details, visit my account, enter your details in the “Login” section and click “Log in”. You can tick “remember me” to save yourself typing your password next time you visit.
If you have forgotten your password you can reset it by clicking “Lost your password” on the “My Account” page, or by visiting the “forgot password” page directly.
To create a new account, visit my account, enter your email in the “Register” section and click “Register”. You should get a password by email. If it doesn’t turn up, first check your “Spam folder”, if it isn’t there, please contact us and we will help you get set up.
- I’d like to buy a gift subscription, how do I do that?
You can purchase a gift subscription from us. We will send a coupon to your recipient by email which they can redeem when they buy a subscription. You can even choose a date in the future and we will take care of delivering it for you.
- I want to buy New Internationalist magazine in a shop. Where is it sold?
To find your nearest stockists simply visit our stockists page and enter your postcode.
- I want to buy a single issue of the print magazine online where can I buy it?
You can buy single issues of the print magazine with free p&p from the Ethical Shop’s magazine section.
- What types of New Internationalist subscriptions are available?
Subscriptions can be for individuals, given as a gift or for institutions such as schools and colleges.
Subscriptions can be bought for a period of 3 months, 1 year or 3 years.